Fine Art/Painting of a First Lady?

First Lady
First Lady  
Hello Mr. Cartwright, I purchased a painting from an antique store in Cleveland,
Ohio that closed in the 1960's.  I was told that it was a painting of a first lady
but I don't remember which one.  The painting is not signed.  Can you help me
identify the First Lady?  Thank you for your help and information.  I am
attaching a close up photo of the painting.

I am no expert in First Ladies, but if I compare your picture to that of First Ladies' portraits found on various internet sites, and consider the dates of the hairdo and dress, I would narrow it to:

Ellen Wilson (Woodrow's first wife)
Helen Taft
Florence Harding

Scott, you would be best served to send your photo to historians or perhaps museums (think boyhood homes, libraries, etc.) who have chronicled these Presidents and their families.

She certainly is an august looking woman!  

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration