Fine Art/Pastel Portrait

Question
Pastel Portrait of Woman
Pastel Portrait of Wom  
QUESTION: I'm trying to identify the artist and date of this very lovely pastel portrait. The signature is difficult to make out...maybe "S" then a last name beginning with "W" or "V"?
(I will send signature photo in separate question as this form only allows one attachment.)
The frame detail is interesting as well, possibly original?
It is behind glass and measures about 22" x 26".
Thank you very much.

ANSWER: N,
Among the most famous portraitists of the nineteenth century with "S.W." initials:

Samuel Bell Waugh
Samuel Lovett Waldo

Let's hope it is one of them.  Is this a relative?  Provenance?  Good luck in your further research.

It's a beautiful painting.  Hang it and enjoy it!  Many old portraits of ancestors are dreadful...not this one!

Rgds,
Stu

QUESTION: Thank you for the information, Stu. I researched the two portraitists that you mentioned and saw some similarities stylistically to my piece, but I didn't see any examples of drawings or pastel by them--only oil paintings. Do you think it is plausible that one of them might have worked in pastels as well?
In terms of provenance. This is an unknown woman--not a family member. The drawing was bought by my in-laws, when they were buying a lot of antiques and collectibles in New England in the 1960s and 70s.
~N

Answer
N -
Absolutely possible.  But I have to say, this is a bit of wild shot.  

Best to have a professional look over your painting in person.  I highly recommend you contact this gallery that is expert in old New England portraits such as yours.  If you can provide them with a closeup shot of the signature, it will help them immensely.  If you are in New England, and can make an appointment to get the painting in to them in person...that is best.

Best of luck,
Stu

------------------------
Walker-Cunningham Fine Art
162 Newbury Street,
2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02116, USA
(617) 247-1319
gallery@walkercunningham.com
www.walkercunningham.com
Contact: Sarah B. Cunningham

Gallery Hours
Tuesday - Friday, 10:30am - 4:30pm - by appointment
Saturday - by appointment  

Stuart Cartwright