Fine Art/Signature

Unknown title
Unknown title  
Please identify; if you can, the follow photo of a signature of an oil painting I have had for some years.  Thank you very much.  In addition, if you can refer me to an appraiser in the Sacramento, California area it would be most appreciated; that is if the signature reveals something of worth.

Elliot Fouts in Sacramento has a contemporary gallery...go see him and and see if he recognizes your artist.  

Also, you might try contacting John Moran auctions in Pasadena, California.  

In either case, try to give them as much detail as you can:
- photo of front, including frame
- photo of reverse
- oil on canvas or something else:
- dimensions
- where did it originate (any clues?)
- inscription or labels on backside?
- condition of paint (heavy? flaking? cracked?)
- condition of canvas (weathered, inconsistent, mildewed, pristine?)

I do not know this signature.
Good luck!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration