Fine Art/finding an artist

Question
I have recently inherited a couple of painting and I would like to find out about the artists. One is an original water colour landscape by Walter Carr and the other is a limited edition,8 from 20, "Market stall in Perigueax" by J.S.Abell, dated 1987.  I understand it's a needle in a haystack but I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Regards.

Ellie

Answer
Ellie,
I follow antique art markets.  Historic American paintings of the late 1800s and early 1900s.  

You would be best served to learn through your family where these paintings were purchased or obtained.  1987 is only 22 years ago...very likely the artist may still be alive and in the same vicinity!  As you are aware, 8/20 means you have a limited edition print from a working artist.

Souvenirs of wonderful trips comprise a large percentage of framed artwork.  It may be you had a relative bring home a nice picture from a trip abroad.  This is not really classified as "Fine Art" but does not mean that the art cannot be hung and appreciated every day.  

Congratulations on your inheritance.  Enjoy!

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright