Fine Art/finding an artist

I have recently inherited a couple of painting and I would like to find out about the artists. One is an original water colour landscape by Walter Carr and the other is a limited edition,8 from 20, "Market stall in Perigueax" by J.S.Abell, dated 1987.  I understand it's a needle in a haystack but I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

I follow antique art markets.  Historic American paintings of the late 1800s and early 1900s.  

You would be best served to learn through your family where these paintings were purchased or obtained.  1987 is only 22 years ago...very likely the artist may still be alive and in the same vicinity!  As you are aware, 8/20 means you have a limited edition print from a working artist.

Souvenirs of wonderful trips comprise a large percentage of framed artwork.  It may be you had a relative bring home a nice picture from a trip abroad.  This is not really classified as "Fine Art" but does not mean that the art cannot be hung and appreciated every day.  

Congratulations on your inheritance.  Enjoy!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration