Fine Art/landscape portrait

Question
landscape
landscape  
Hi:

I recently purchased this painting.  Any thoughts on terms of age, whether american would be greatly appreciated.  It is oil, looks like on sandpaper and laid down on canvas.  It is 20 x 16.  It is initialed "WR" on bottom left but can't find artist.  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Mark,
I would say you almost certainly have an antique American painting in the style of Thomas Chambers or Ezra Ames.  This is commonly referred described as "naive" or "primitive" American landscape.  Probably executed in the early nineteenth century, it looks like a pre-cursor to the Hudson River School genre.  Rather than reflect nature in all its grand subliminity, the artist sought to depict an ordered, tranquil river life, possibly New York or Virginia.  It was probably commissioned by whomever owned the estate at the left.  All the compositional elements: trees, river, roadway, sky are carefully arranged to frame the picture.  

There was a Captain William Pierrie who did landscapes of this nature in upstate New York.  Is your WR perhaps WP?  Where did you find this excellent picture?  

If you wish, send me detailed photos of the front and back.

stucartwright@yahoo.com

Best regards,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright