Fine Art/landscape portrait

I recently purchased this painting.  Any thoughts on terms of age, whether american would be greatly appreciated.  It is oil, looks like on sandpaper and laid down on canvas.  It is 20 x 16.  It is initialed "WR" on bottom left but can't find artist.  Thanks.

Hi Mark,
I would say you almost certainly have an antique American painting in the style of Thomas Chambers or Ezra Ames.  This is commonly referred described as "naive" or "primitive" American landscape.  Probably executed in the early nineteenth century, it looks like a pre-cursor to the Hudson River School genre.  Rather than reflect nature in all its grand subliminity, the artist sought to depict an ordered, tranquil river life, possibly New York or Virginia.  It was probably commissioned by whomever owned the estate at the left.  All the compositional elements: trees, river, roadway, sky are carefully arranged to frame the picture.  

There was a Captain William Pierrie who did landscapes of this nature in upstate New York.  Is your WR perhaps WP?  Where did you find this excellent picture?  

If you wish, send me detailed photos of the front and back.

Best regards,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration