Fine Art/m. williams

I found this at a thrift store in Guerneville Ca. It seems to be in black ink. At the bottom it says "what's the beef" M. Williams 7/25/82 "I'd rather be a deer" And on the far right It reads "MOS-WA It's on heavy paper and It may have been cut down from a larger picture. There seems to be a letter to some one on the back. You can only make out a few words because this had been glued on to something at one time. The pictures I've attached are of poor quality because I only have a cell phone camera. Sorry.

I did not see ANY picture attached to your question.  Also, I will assume the date is from the nineteenth century, since that is the period I follow.  If this piece is more modern, you would be better served to find an art consultant who is familiar with the 1980s contemporary California art market.

So, that said, let me give you a brief bio of Mary Williams who was a known California artist in the nineteenth century and did many ink sketches, some of which hang in the museum at Monterrey.  

I wish you luck with your artwork, and I hope you enjoy it every day!

Born in Oakland, CA on June 27, 1869, Kate Carew (a pseudonym) grew up in Placer County as Mary Williams. She studied at the San Francisco School of Design in the late 1880s and continued at the Chase School in NYC and Académie Colarossi in Paris.

She began her career as an illustrator for the San Francisco Examiner (1889-95) and continued with the New York World. The latter sent her to London to interview and do caricatures of notable people. While there she became famous as a cartoonist on the Tatler; while her brother Gluyas became a popular cartoonist on the New Yorker.

She made many trips back to California to visit and sketch with her close friend Mary DeNeale Morgan in Carmel, and was a pupil there of Wm M. Chase in 1914.  During WWI she lived in Carmel and in 1920 returned to England.  Married thrice, she was the wife of Seymour Davison, Harrie Chambers, and John A. Reed.  After the latter’s death in 1941, she returned to the Monterey Peninsula, bought the home of artist Lucy Valentine Pierce on Mesa Road, and remained there until her demise on Feb. 11, 1961.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration