Fine Art/the name of this artist

I have hard time reading the name of this artist. It says elisha then signed with a D one or 2 f ... le
can you tell me what is the name and the value please?

I don't have any definitive answer for you, so I apologize, but I am not expert in all manners of artistic endeavor, and am not familiar with the print market.  

However, I can give you my thoughts can't I?  Probably worth what you paid, hmmm!  Anyway:

1) Elisha is the subject of this painting.  As you are aware, Elisha was an attendant to Elijah and you can look him up in the old testament I Kings.  So the subject is probably of Jewish ancestry.  Perhaps a holocaust victim?  Perhaps someone's beloved grandfather?  It certainly is a striking image...the eyes betray a tough life.  

This might lead you to seek out purveyors of Russian or Eastern European art (neither of which I am familiar), for you might find a dealer who recognizes the signature.

2) The signature - To me, the first letter looks like more than a "D" with the long loopy tail underneath, and I immediately suspected it might be an embellished "Z".  ???   With this in mind, I wonder if it could be a work of famous cinematographer Franco Zeffirelli?  He is known to have been an artist, though I can find none of his works listed.  Just my wild guess.  The picture might be worth a little more, if it were, so let's hope so.

3) A limited edition of 100 is a good sign, and adds value.  In the print market, I would fathom you are taking a matter of how many hundred dollars your picture is worth, not how many thousands.  Again, I am no student of the print market.

4) I'd urge you to perhaps seek (a) 20thCentury dealers of European art in NYC (b) auction houses (Trinity Auctions,2 Arts Center Lane
Avon, CT 06001 888-TRIN-555 comes to mind)who deal in European and Russian art

Meantime, enjoy this fine portrait.  It is remarkable.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration