Fine Art/specific artist

i have a painting i inherited and cannot find any information on the artist.  what little information i do have came from a curator who cleaned the painting for my mother years ago.  unfortunaly, that person and gallery are no longer available. i know he did not do much, but i have not been able to find anything on him.  any information would be greatly appreciated.  his name is edwin stafford doolittle.

thank you.
linda gibson

Edwin Stafford Doolittle (American, 1843-1879) is listed in Peter Hasting Falk's "Who Was Who in American Art 1564-1975" published in 1999, page #3724.

Here is a listing of the only auction record I could find:

If you are looking to part with the painting, send me a photograph, the size of the canvas, and any other details I should know.  If you tell me roughly where in the country you are, I can help you find an auction house or dealer.

If you like the painting, hang it and enjoy looking at it every day!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration