Fine Art/tuttle

we have several pencil & watercolor works on paper by Franklin Tuttle and would like to sell them.  Do you know what they may be worth - all are signed and some are also dated. Also we live in the New Orleans area - can you direct us to a dealer or appraiser for these items.

Congratulations, you have a known, listed early American artist.  I find several auction records of Tuttle's portraits.  

1) Davenports Art Reference Guide lists one of his larger works, a  45" x30" oil portrait, as having been listed for auction at Christies in NYC in June of 1986 when it was withdrawn and again in November when it was sold for $800.  
2) An online database lists a Franklin Tuttle portrait of a young girl, a 42"x24" oil on canvas, as having been offered at a Rachel Davis Fine Arts of Cleveland, OH auction last March with a pre-sale estimate of $600-$800.  The picture was not sold, and perhaps this is due to the date affixed to the painting of 1924.  Franklin Tuttle is listed as living 1866-1919, so there may have been some doubt as to the authenticity of either the painting or his biography!

There is no doubt that he is aligned closely with portraits that hang today in the Union League Club of New York City.

Biographical background material:

A 1929 article: “Franklin Tuttle painted New York worthies of forty years ago.  Exhibition of historical portraits of past presidents of Union League Club including Hoppin, FL. Olmsted, Hamilton Fish, John Jay, etc. General Grant and Lincoln."

Exhibited: National Academy of Design, 1888, 1890

New York Historical Society note from Eric Robison, Reference Assistant:

An artist Franklin Tuttle is mentioned twice in the New York Times:  1) A 12 January 1894 Article in the Times mentions a painting by a Franklin Tuttle—A Corner in the Union League Club” which includes six portraits of clubmen.

2) A 19 September 1893 Times article describes an historically themed painting hanging in the Hotel New Netherland. According to the article, Franklin Tuttle was a well-known New York artist living at the time the article was published.  Quote from article: “Mr. Tuttle spent six months in the study and preparation of his picture and has thrown into the painting, apart from the accuracy of the historic detail, a vast amount of excellent artist work.”  

As for an estimate of his pencil and watercolor works I would say that very much depends upon condition, subject, size and all the other variables about which a good fine art dealer might advise you.

As for a New Orleans Fine Art gallery, try calling on:

Shannon C. Foley Fine Art
1824 Octavia St
New Orleans, LA  70115
Phone: 504-891-3235
Fax: 702-995-3493

That should help you get started!   Best of luck!

Stu at Cartwright Fine Art  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration