Fine Art/Alex Dzigurski

Question
I have an original oil painting by Alex Dzigurski it is 25 1/2 by 37 1/2.  I have a copy of the original invoice dated 12/12/1968 from Art Studio of Alex Dzigurski, 2209 El Camino, Palo Alto, California. The name given on the invoice is Grand Teton.  I will be selling it, and was wondering if you can give me an idea of the value, and who I should contact concerning selling it.  I am asuming it is in the original frame.  Thank you

Answer
Rena,
Congratulations. Quite a few paintings of almost precisely this size, by your artist, Alex Dzigurski, Sr., have gone through public auction recently, so it is fairly easy to determine an estimate. Without seeing it, I would say you have a painting worth between $1,500 and $2,000.  Some paintings have fetched a little more, but higher seller commissions were paid so the nets aren't much outside this range.  And of course, some of his paintings have sold under this price range, too.

If you are on the west coast, you could contact almost any dealer in Carmel, CA as Dzigurski did many pictures in that area.  Or auction house www.johnmoran.com.   If you are on the east coast, contact me at www.cartwrightfineart.com and I can try to help you.  You don't want to get into the game of shipping a large painting like this, as it will eat up your proceeds.  

Hope that helps.

Stu

Stuart Cartwright