Fine Art/Artist Frank Wagner

Not sure which expert may be able to help me....
My sister has a painting in mint condition of Frank Wagner called "The Old Mill". It was authenticated by Merrill Chase Galleries.

We do not know anything about the artist other than he is contemporary and is retired to France.

Can you tell what other paintings have sold for and if it would be worth getting an appraisal. Don't really want to spent the money if it isn't worth anything.  LOL

Based on what I found, depending on size, condition, subject, etc., your painting retail is worth $3,500 for a 25 x 30" oil.

Born on Long Island, Frank Wagner was a long-time New York City illustrator who, late in his career, became known for marine painting. He trained on a scholarship at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and at Pratt Institute in New York. This education was followed by a European Fellowship Grant by the Leopold Schepp Foundation for postgraduate work at the Rijksmuseum School in Amsterdam, Holland.

At the Mystic Connecticut International Exhibition in 1988, he won an Award of Excellence. His work has been on permanent display at the Smith Gallery in New York City, and Longfleet House of Barnstable, Massachusetts has published an edition of his prints in a series called "The Classic Twelves."

In 1994, he moved to England and was invited by the Royal Exchange Art Gallery in London to exhibit in three one-man shows. The Royal Engineers commissioned his last major work, which was officially presented to their Patron H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh in May 1996.
The following is from Gordon Armstrong:

Frank H. Wagner was born and lived his childhood in Brightwaters, NY close
to one of the many bays on the South Shore of Long Island. He committed
himself to music and painting early in life. He chose a wide variety of
subjects to paint - not just the marine scenes so readily available but an
eclectic set. Though a talented cornetist and athlete in high school, he
chose painting as a career. He began his formal training at the school of
Fine Arts at the University of Pennsylvania and completed his college
education at the Pratt Institute with emphasis on illustration.

A noted New York patron sponsored his post graduate tour of Europe where he spent most of his time in Amsterdam. Returning to the U.S. in his mid- twenties, he became an illustrator in New York City and then in a Detroit studio. As an illustrator, he used that varied experience in illustrating for various airlines, auto manufacturers, and publishers.

Later in life he moved to New England. His fine art legacy includes paintings from his childhood and from his travels, in various media but mostly in watercolor.  

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University