Fine Art/Cat And Kittens

Question
Cat and Kittens
Cat and Kittens  
Hi Stu,
I also recently stumbled across this piece of art in a thrift store. I just fell in love with the picture but did not bother to look on the back of it.
In the upper right hand corner, is a sticker (white ) with the following info.
D1518/American (19 century)
Cat and Kittens, c. 1872/1883
oil on millboard 30x34.9 cm
National Gallery of Art, Washington
Gift of Edgar and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch 1958.9.8
Board of Trustees, national Gallery of Art, Washington
Mine does not have a frame, but appears to be in what I would consider very good to excellent condition.
Any more info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Rose-Marie

Answer
You have already found the answer.  This is one of many, many copies of an original American primitive painting that is the collection of the National Gallery of Art (NGA).   All information here is from www.nga.gov

The original painting is recorded as being from Connecticut.  Purchased in 1948 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1958.  The painting has been loaned out to many exhibitions as an example of early American art, and has been reproduced widely.

American 19th Century (artist)
Cat and Kittens, c. 1872/1883
oil on millboard
Overall: 30 x 34.9 cm (11 13/16 x 13 3/4 in.) framed: 38.4 x 43.2 x 2.5 cm (15 1/8 x 17 x 1 in.)
Gift of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch
1958.9.8

Naturally, a warm fuzzy picture of a cat and her kittens has wide appeal and hangs in many American homes.  Reproduction prints, giclee and oil copies abound.  

https://www.fineartonsale.com/cat-and-kittens.html

While you probably don't have a picture worth insuring, you obviously enjoy the painting.  Hang it on your wall...and most of all...enjoy it!  I enjoy looking at fine art each and every day...even though my pictures have been with me for years, each look is fresh and enjoyable!

Stu

Stuart Cartwright