Fine Art/French Artist

Question
Well Hello Miss Dolly,

French artist, Suzanne Hurel, 1876-1954. So intriqued by this piece that I felt the need to remove it from the frame. Image is domestic scene of young lady sitting working at needlepoint. Research took me to RMN French site, but images were in black and white only. Our picture is 29 1/2 x 23"with MB right corner.One of photo images shows a lady with exact same dress. Lovely piece of art which I thought under glass was original pastel. What can you tell me my dear Dolly? AS ever, best regards,Johnathon

Answer
Dear Johnathon,

I hope you are doing well. I am not sure what your question is, but I looked up Suzanne Hurel and can tell you this about her work. She did interior scenes, usually with women doing domestic activities. Her primary medium was oil on canvas. I found three drawings, all were pencil or charcoal on paper; no pastels. She signed her work as S. Hurel.

You mention an MB in the right corner and that it looks like a pastel. My guess is that you have a photogravure of one of her paintings; or a lithograph after one of her paintings. The MB is most likely the publishers mark.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley