Fine Art/Harry D Reeks Original paintings

I recently found two paintings in a box of items left by my mother.  They are both signed by Harry D. Reeks, approximately 9"X 12" one titled Redwoods the other titled Seal Beach.  Very vivid colors in fairly good condition some discoloration on the paper and a slight tear on the sides.  They are not framed.  I am not an informed art collector and have no idea of their value although I do know the artist is recognized by the art community.  I live close to Sacramento, CA.  Any guidance you can give would be much appreciated; value, sales strategies, etc.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance you can offer.

Hi Beverly,

I found this biography (below) of Harry Reeks online.  Let me say, I like his work.  You probably have a silkscreen print, since you mention a work on paper.  The illustrious auction house Bonhams with offices at 220 San Bruno Avenue in San Francisco sold a lot of three similarly vibrant Reeks watercolors just a few months ago on February 22 at auction.   Alcatraz, 1949; Bay Tour, 1949; Golden Gate Bridge (a group of 3) first, 17 1/2 x 24in; second, sight 18 1/2 x 25 1/2in; third, 19 1/2 x 23 1/2in.   

The entire lot of three paintings, each larger than yours went for a total of $610 exclusive of the buyers premium paid to the auction house.

So, selling yours at Bonhams, after seller's costs, might only net you a few hundred dollars.  You might also try phoning a few galleries up in Carmel to see if they'd be interested.  You might be able to ask as much as $400 for the two pictures and get lucky.  One never knows.

And of course, the painting may have value to you because it belonged to your mother.  Sometimes, that value cannot be measured.  If you decide to keep and hang the artwork...enjoy it!

Best of luck,

Harry D. Reeks (1920-1982)

Born in New Orleans, Louisiana, Harry Reeks was a landscape painter and military sketch artist who has painted city views of New Orleans and battle scenes in the Far East. By 1939, he was active in California, where he returned after the war for several years and did silkscreen prints of San Francisco scenes such as the Golden Gate Bridge, flower vendors, cable cars, etc. He also did a print of the Victory Statue in Union Square.

In 1941, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps and saw action on Guadalcanal, New Georgia, Bougainville, and Siapan. He was the only official combat artist to land on Iwa Jima with the invasion force and spent thirty days on the island sketching the campaign.

He died in Ocean Springs, Mississippi in 1982.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration