Fine Art/Huldah Painting...

My husband bought me a painting that has The Ice Cream Vendor written on the back of it.  I don't know a lot about art but I think its on canvas and the size is about 10x8.  It has huldah in the bottom left corner and there appears to be maybe a couple of letters and a number underneath but I can't see it good due to the frame.  Could you tell me if this is worth anything?  Than you so much!

Hello Mary, base on wat you are telling me, the piece in question is a print. If there are a couple of number and letters it is a stock number and copyright symbol along with the company abbreviation.

The following is from Susan Fox:

An American fine artist born in Dallas, Texas, Huldah Cherry was an accomplished figure painter who studied at the Art Student's League and Grand Central School in New York City.  She also attended private classes taught by Robert Brackman.

Huldah began her career in the 1940s.  From 1934-1949 she was represented by the noted New York art dealer and collector, Howard Young.  In the 1950s, the Charles Lock Galleries of New York also exhibited her work.  In 1975 Wally Findlay Galleries in New York presented her first one-woman show. Four of her works were purchased by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.  Her paintings have been reproduced by the New York Graphics Society since 1946 and by Hallmark cards since 1953.

Huldah has had her paintings selected for the Grand Salon of the Salon des Artistes Francais in Paris.  She won Honorable Mention awards on the Salons of 1948 and 1967.

For her subject matter, she focused on turn-of-the-century women and adolescent girls.  Her young ladies are costumed in the fashionable attire of the period, and her style hints of impressionism with a strong Renoir influence.  Inspired by a period known as La Belle Epoque, Huldah's designs were incorporated into thirty-one collectible porcelain works of art which were created between 1959 and 1968 and distributed into the 1980s.

Huldah retired in Palm Beach Florida, and is the wife of General J. E. Jeffe.

She is listed in Who's Who in American Art, Who's Who of American Women and the World Who's Who of Women.

In addition to museums, her paintings are in the collections of the Cornell Medical Center, and in the Los Angeles Athletic Club.  And in 1998 the national Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington DC recognized Huldah and has included her work on their permanent collection.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University