Fine Art/Jan McPherson and George White

Dear Mr. Laskowski,
   I have an original primitive oil painting on wood of a young boy with a sailboat, signed by Jan McPherson. When I looked up the name, I found a gallery selling a similar piece of art by the same artist (but it was a girl on wood) and identified the artist as Victorian American from the 19c. I would like to sell it but I can not find  ANY information on this person, not even the original info about when the other piece was being sold. The piece is not so much "fine art" but much more like folk art. Do you have any infomation on "her" and a general idea of it's value. Thank you so much for your time in advance.  Sincerely, Julie
P.S. An interesting tidbit is that last night I was watching an older horror movie from the 60's called The Shuttered Room and there was, without doubt, another one of Jan McPherson's works (also on wood)  on the bedroom wall in the movie.

Also, I have a small hand-colored engraving from The Lily Gallery Inc. in Baltimore, MD done around 1821-23 by George White, American, (1797-1873) that, again, I am having difficulty finding any information about. It's called "Kitty".6 X 4 1/2 The sticker on the back also says that it was a gift to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (K) 11-08144-5. My husband is very sick and I need the money if there is any value.  Thanks again. I anxiously await your reply. Sincerely, Julie

This may be the same George White, I am not sure.
George White began his career as an artist in 1843. For a time he also worked as a traveling minstrel. In 1847 he returned to Cincinnati where he settled. He was an early member of the Artist's Union. He is remembered for his portraits of General Grant and General Sherman.

In terms of value, I cannot find any comperables for either Jan McPherson or George White.

I am sorry to hear about your husband.  

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University