Fine Art/Landseer print

Question
Landseer print
Landseer print  
My brother was in Northern Michigan and acquired an Lander print which has been affixed to a plywood backer. The print is in deplorable condition, but I like it, and cannot find another one. The print says in small letters on the bottom "Engraved by James Wellstone after Landseer" It is signed "Landseer". The print image area is approx. 19x23 inches. The title of the print is "The end of the chase". Given the poor condition of the image, is it,in your estimation, worth having restored? As I am on a fixed income would some thing like this be price prohibitive? I have, and do enjoy reading you expert advice.

Answer
Dear Clinton,

I hope you are doing well. Sometimes I find there are artists and their work that appear unappreciated in today’s market. The steel engraved prints that were done after Sir Edwin Landseer’s paintings are beautiful original engravings by different skilled artists. Unfortunately they do not fetch more than $25-50 at this time.

I am going to recommend you enjoy the print as it is and keep an eye out for one in better condition to replace it. You can put a keyword search on eBay where they will email you if the item you are looking for becomes listed. You can also do occasional keyword searches on Google in case an online antique dealer gets one listed.

The cost of restoration, especially in such poor condition and needing removal from the board, would most likely cost over $200.

Thank you for your question and your kind words.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley