Fine Art/Marion Greenwood 1926 Original

Question
Unknown
Unknown  
Hi, I just purchased a Marion Greenwood original drawing ( signed 1926 ). I reasearched her name and discovered she had strated her Art career in Woodstock, NY ( which is where I live and found this wonderful drawing ). I'm trying to find out who the subject is? She was here in Woodstock in 1926 with a few VERY talented artists. Any ideas? Any idea on the value of this wonderful piece? Thanks, Dino Pro

Answer
I suspect it may have been a 55 year old John French Sloan.  She left high school to study at the Art Students League in NYC with Sloan and George Bridgeman.  

One can easily find old photos of Sloan using Google Images, and he sported a pair of glasses precisely like those depicted in your picture.  It is not a terribly flattering picture of Sloan, and I cannot find pictures of a mustachioed Sloan, but there are certainly some facial similarities.  

I would value this at $800-$1,200, and if you can positively identify it as Sloan it might add a few hundred dollars more.  You might try contacting a NYC dealer who knows Greenwood:
Bruce Palmer Galleries
180 Riverside Drive
New York City, NY  10024
karmacharm@aol.com

I see that they have a Greenwood piece for sale, though I do not know this gallery personally.

You are right.  It is a wonderful piece, by a listed and talented American artist.

Enjoy it!

Stu

Stuart Cartwright