Fine Art/Oil painting

Question
Evening
Evening  
Hello,
I found this 16" x 20" oil painting at a thrift shop. It is signed C. Southcott. Also, at the bottom of the painting, it is signed, naming the painting as "Evening".
I've tried to look for any information on the Internet on the artist but can not find anything. Looks to be an older piece from the canvas and the frame. Any help is  very much appreciated.

Answer
Oh!

I just responded more fully to your second question, first. The email with the signature.  Now I see the whole painting.  

Same answer, but I'll add a comment or two.  I would estimate this painting to be have been executed perhaps by an amateur painter anywhere from 1940-1970.  I say amateur, but it isn't bad at all...just a hint of perspective and depth that I would say is off.  In fact, you could call it 20th Century American Landscape and be proud of it.  I am immediately reminded of Cecil Chichester, a NYC advertising illustrator who painted in the Woodstock, NY (Catskill Mts.) area in this period executing many lakeside scenes including birches.  Gustave Wiegand is known for painting birches alongside Blue Mt. lake in the Adirondacks.  

Your painting has a lot going for it, too.  Good strong brushstrokes, bold color, and it is a good size. Looks to be in fine shape. I would guess in a local auction you might fetch anywhere from $200-$400 for it, and perhaps double that should you turn up any info on Southcott.  Do you know the location of the scene?  Check the backside with a bright light for inscriptions of any sort.  

I wonder if you hunt locally for your Southcott, if you might not find  someone locally who knew him/her?  

Best of luck,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright