Fine Art/Original Oil

Question
I have a painting with a "Certificate of Authenticity" from "Royal Art, LTD Auction for Fund Raising: 13012 Saticoy St. Unit B, No.Hollywood, Ca. 91605 Telephone (213) 982-6500"
Artist: Vereen
Title work of art: "In the rain"
Media: Original Oil
Registration Number: 79 26321
Signature by: P. Bauman

Note: The front of the painting signature states "Vermeer"
Question: Can you tell the history about the organization "Royal Art, LTD Auction for Fund Raising", what year this organization existed and whether I have valuable painting?

Answer
Hello Alex,
I cannot give you specifics about your Vermeer or Vereen or even Royal Art, LTD.  Like you, I can find scant information about this organization other than a few individuals like yourself who are trolling the web searching for them.  Generally the belief is that this Royal Art enterprise ran a few auctions in the early 1980s.  No surprise that P. Bauman is not a listed artist.  

So I am sorry that I can't tell you much about the value of your painting, though I suspect it was more valuable to Royal Art, LTD than to any of the item's owners since.  This does not mean you cannot hang your artwork and enjoy it, Alex.  Nor does it mean you made any mistakes.  I compliment you for seeking information about your art, and asking good questions.  Always the sign of an intelligent collector.   

Best regards,
Stu

---------------------------

Alex, these comments below do not reflect on you specifically.  I do want to leave these general comments/tips/observations on line for others to see.  Nor do I mean to pontificate.  Just share.  I'm still learning...every day.  
-----------------------------

The difference between "fine art" and "wall coverings" may be in the eye of the beholder.  However, art collectors should be vigilant about their purchases and knowledgeable about what they are collecting.  There has always been a certain mystique or allure about art collecting, and therefore much interest in getting started, in purchasing, owning and "investing" in art.  Alas, any time money is involved there will be those eager capitalists who see opportunity. The desire to perceive oneself, or be perceived as a "highbrow" has produced profit for many an opportunistic "art" merchant. Beware the eager vendor of framed goods who can sell you a named artist at a Walmart price...if it seems too good to be true...it ALWAYS is.  Finding $100 pencil drawings or etchings of Picassos or Vermeers fits this category.  

* Never be afraid to ask questions BEFORE buying an artwork.  Learning and education is a very tangible component and benefit of art collecting.  
* Internet research is useful. But avoid BUYING art on the internet
* If an art website has a "shopping cart"...steer away
* Registration numbers and such seem to lend authenticity or an air of a guarantee, don't they? In fact, they are usually meaningless.  Far more important to know the history and reputation of the dealer.
* A number such as "51/250" etched or penciled on the body of a print, perhaps a silkscreen or woodblock does indicate some value, and relative rarity.  Limited print editions are typically more valuable than unlimited prints.  Naturally, originals are worth more.  
* If you cannot tell the difference between a print and an original, you should consider seeking a professional's advice before opening your wallet.  
* Use the internet to find fine art and trusted dealers & auctioneers
* Don't make a final purchase without:
  - seeing the art in person
  - understanding who the artist is, what else this artist painted
  - knowing how much this artist usually commands
  - comprehending the condition of the artwork
  - verifying the authenticity from the dealer or auctioneer
* Don't confuse low price tags with "value"
Investment art nearly always carries a premium.  BUT, it will hold its value over time.  "Cheap" art, or the "deal I found at the back of the antique shop" will very likely DEPRECIATE over time to $0.
* Art is not a liquid investment like a stock or bond.  Values trend over long periods of time. Fine art will appreciate, and over long periods will often do better than many other asset classes. To realize appreciation in an artwork, you may hold it over a long, long period of many years.  So, if it will hang on your walls for a decade or two:
* Buy what you love.   Hang it.  Enjoy it every day!  

Stuart Cartwright