Fine Art/Value of Painting

I have an oil on canvas (14x12) with the signature "R.E. Morrison, 1905" on the bottom left hand side.  It is a picture of 2 young girls sitting on the ground with the older girl wearing a bonnet with flowers on it and she has her left arm draped around the younger girl.  There is no text on the back.  The painting itself is set on a burlap like material that is stapled on a wood frame board.  Can you tell me if this an original and how much it is worth?

Thank you.

Dear Betty,

I believe your painting was done by British artist Robert Edward MORRISON (1852-1925), who has records of portraits and figures in landscapes. He also signed his paintings as R.E.Morrison. Most of his paintings were oil on board/panel, with some records of oil on canvas. I am confused by your description of the painting being set on burlap and then stapled on a wood frame board.

I can't imagine this, so if you would like to email high resolution clear photographs of the entire painting and a close up of the signature, I will take a look. If you have a good camera with the ability to get a close up of the edge where the canvas meets the burlap, that would be helpful as well. You can email the photos to

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.