Fine Art/Van Gogh, Villon painting

Please help me identify the artist of a painting so I can find and replace the framed print of it that I loved and lost in a house fire several years ago. Description based on my recollection: Intense colors on a verticle rectangular canvas...reminds me of Van Gogh portraits painted 1888-89. Subject is a forlorn, middle-aged peasant woman sitting in a golden-brown wooden rocking chair. She is wearing a bright pink/coral peasant dress (floor length, long sleeves, buttoned up to her neck). She has black hair pulled back into a bun, and is holding a white kerchief in one of her hands with her other hand resting in her lap.  She seems to be in the process of resigning to the fact of a very devistating loss in her life.  The wall behind her is a bright blue.

I've been looking  

Villon Color Aquatint
Villon Color Aquatint  
Dear Christene, the piece you describe does sound very much like Van Gogh. Another artist that comes to mind is Jacques Villon, who did after works of Van Gogh and others. Here is an aquatint by Villon depicting a similar picture to the one you describe.

I recommend contacting Christies or Sothebys auction houses, as they are the two largest auction houses in the world. They may have an expert who knows this piece.

Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Experienced in selling, appraising and judging authenticity of signed original prints and unique works of fine art. Concentration on Picasso lithographs; Rembrandt etchings; Edgar Degas drawings; Calder lithographs; Miro; Durer woodcuts; Marc Chagall lithographs; Renoir etchings; Toulouse Lautrec lithographs; Vasarely; Warhol silk screens; Henry Moore sculptures.

Judging authenticity and avoiding fraud. Appraisal. Fine art investments.

Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Sonoma State University