Fine Art/fabbri

Question
fabbri ship
fabbri ship  
i have what appears to be an old painting of a sea scene with boats and fisherman-something you might think of as peter fishing for the multitudes-anyway that kind of genre. the painting appears to be oil on canvas. size is approx. 11 1/2 x 16"-although there is more to it as i can see some of the painting on the canvas  from the back. it is signed in red paint on lower right-- Fabbri-- is this an old painting of any significants. please let me know i will be sending a file with pictures thanking you in advance-mike

Answer
Mike,
I don't follow the European markets or artists.  I am always skeptical whenever I see a signed single name.  Unlike the pop music world where a single name connotes huge success and instant recognition, the fine art world relishes as much name as possible on a painting.  Many painters referred to by First, Middle and Last names, and most top-notch career artists relish signing with two or three initials, maybe even a monogram.  A lot of decorative art is sold, to accompany couches, with single names with what I'd call "artistic-sounding" names.  Doesn't Fabbri sound artsy?  Or perhaps it belongs on a can of hairspray?  

So long answer short...I don't know this artist.  There are half a dozen listed but lesser known Italian artists named Fabbri, but I can't find anyone who might have done this.  Probably worth $50-$100 at auction.

Doesn't mean you can't hang it and enjoy your artwork!

Rgds,
Stu

Stuart Cartwright