Fine Art/portrait

I am trying to learn more about this painting in my collection.  It is 30 x 25 without frame and I have been told it resembles works done by Hudson Valley limners of 18th Century America.

Very possibly. All I can see of your picture is a closeup of a face, from brow to chin.  Is there more?  I don't know that I've seen many 30" x 25" portraits that were this close in.  I expect your .jpg may have been clipped.  

In any case, you have the expression correct.  "Limners" were portraitists who made their living in the early days of our nation...when artists really were starving, and in the days before landscape painting evolved in America. You don't seem to indicate a signed picture.  

There are numerous antique and auction houses up and down the Hudson River from Poughkeepsie to Albany.  A little Google surfing will turn them up easily.  If you are looking for valuation or to sell, they will be able to assist you.  

If you are looking to keep it...well, hang it and enjoy it every day!

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration