Fine Art/1841 or 1891 Oil painting

Question
Painting of Ships and shoreline, 19th century
Painting of Ships and  
I ma writing to see if you can help me identify the painter of an oil painting I own.  I was originally bought by my mother, an armature antiques collector in Connecticut in 1991, and was restored at that time.  I have been unable to correctly ID the painter from the signature, I have included several photos of the signature and the painting.  The subject is of a waterway with several sail / fishing boats, and several colonial type homes along the shore line with either a sun set or sun rise in the back ground.  There is also a very well rendered birch tree in the left hand fore ground.  the signature appears to say v. then a W and a B over each other and then something like ibna, or illona, ect.  and a date either 1891 or 1841.  I would appreciate anything you could tell me about my painting.  I was the one who convinced my mother to spend the money to have it restored because I in love with the piece.  I am including a photo fo the whole piece, and under seperate cover I will send a photo of the signature, becasue they will only let me attach one to this message

Thank you

James

Answer
James,
That looks like a nice artwork, and I can see why you enjoy it.  I am guessing it is a rather large oil on canvas.  Your camera flash does not flatter it, as the alligator-ing shows up prominently. (Hint: get a lot of light in the room, or take it outside into natural light and turn off the flash for best digital results.) When you measure an oil painting like this, you want to capture the dimensions of the stretcher; do not include the frame.

You can find my online contact information at cartwrightfineart.com.  Feel free to send me closeup of the signature.  No guarantee I will know this artist.  Any idea as to where in CT she purchased the painting would help.  Eastern Ct/Western Ct./Antique shop/Gallery?  

Stu  

Stuart Cartwright