Fine Art/Alec Stern, Willard Cox, Russell Wilson

Question
I have a 1959-60 collection of Alec Stern's etched Christmas Cards of
America: 2 are color, "Christmas Time in the Gay 90's" and "Farm in the
Foothills." And I have 5 other black etchings on cards, along with the catalog
"for Business and Individual use," including the supplement to the catalog.
Then I have a Russell Wilson "specimen" called "El Capitan, Yosemite", and
"Western Landmarks" USS vignette booklet. This was all in the original large
envelope from the Studio of Alec Stern, 150 North B Street, San Mateo, Ca.,
with it's postage still in tack.

Please tell me how I might find out what the worth is and how to sell this
collection.

Thanks so much!!

Answer
Alexander Stern was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut on March 28, 1904. "Alec" Stern came to San Francisco with his family as an infant. He was raised there in Cow Hollow and was educated at Polytechnic High School. After graduating from Columbia University, he returned to California and entered the California School of Fine Arts. He worked his way through school as a riveter in shipyards and playing in a dance band. Stern was a member of the art department of the San Francisco Chronicle for eight years. During 1935-44 he worked in New York City on art commissions. Upon returning to California, he established a studio-home and printing plant in San Mateo where he produced Christmas cards, etchings, and prints. Stern died in San Francisco on November 10, 1994. Exhibited: San Francisco Art Ass'n, 1924-25; Peninsula Art Ass'n; Chicago and Philadelphia Societies of Etchers (many awards). Works held: Metropolitan Museum; New York Public Library.

SPIRES AND PINNACLES. Stern. 1948.
Spires and Pinnacles. Lower left: Alec Stern ’48. Signed in pencil lower right: Alec Stern. 5 ¾”w x 8 ½”h on sheet 9 ¼”w x 12 ¼”h. Etching. Lightly toned. Mat burns (could be covered).
An etching of St. Patrick’s Cathedral amid large modern buildings in New York City. The view is from Madison Avenue looking north-west past the twin spires toward the bluffs on the Hudson River in the background. St. Patrick’s is the largest gothic revival Catholic Cathedral in the United States, and the spires rise 330 feet from street level.

$US 325.00

I found this print for sale. I think the set would be worth around $125-$150 to someone with an interest in Christmas Cards done by artists of the 20th Century.

on Alec Stern
Hi all,
Alexander (Alec) Stern was my grandfather. He died in 1994. He was truly a great artist and earned his living through his art, selling not only the prints of his etchings but also producing xmas cards for major banks, books on Yosemite, Israel, etc and printed stationary. I don't know of his work currently being worth any substantial amount of $$ but this fine art would look great in a nice new frame on your wall or as a gift.

Joseph B. Laskowski