Fine Art/American Indian Painting

Question
Indian Portrait
Indian Portrait  
Hi Dan, I have this unique piece of art on 1/4" wood panel.It measures 18"x14' and was purchased 50 years ago in Alaska by a Lady who I purchased it from . Very odd to me in the way it was done. Seems like a stain or in was put over all the wood then removed in certain areas to make the image of this Beautiful Indian Girl . I believe she might be from the Athabaskan Tribe , not to sure though. Also a signature at LL but , cannot seem to make it out . Any Help would greatly be appreciated. Thank You , Billy

Answer
This is way outside my area, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

Without seeing it in person, I have no way of telling you what the medium is.

It could be etched, although the way the pigment appears, you could have a silkscreen? It does not have the feel of a hand painted image, but artists tecniques vary, so ??

I am not able to tell from the image if any part of the wood has been carved out. Study the process of silkscreen and see if it might apply to what you have.  If not, there are dealers in Santa Fe and other locations that specialize in American Indian subject.

Dan

Dan Twyman