Fine Art/Byrums'Smokey mountain Rd. ( I think)

Question
I have a fall scene  of a dusty road with Fall foilage on the tree at the left of the painting,at the right side of painting is an off green leaved tree.The size is 25" X30" very old.The background is of mountains. the back paper is almost all deteroiated. "Byrum" is printed in the lower left corner.It is an oil painting on board. My brother left it outside after a sale, under a tree. I could not allow it to be rained on.He had found it in an old house in Shanksville,Pa. about 10 years ago.Very dirty when I brought it back to my place. I am curious if I have something of value and about when was it painted. The size is larger than the ones I have located on the internet.4

Answer
Thelma,
Good for you for saving the artwork.  If it were in pristine condition it might fetch $800-$1,200 at auction.  Having not seen it, I can't say for sure, but from your description, it might only get half this.  Check with some of the auction houses and dealers in Indiana where somewhat of a market seems to exist for this painter.

Eckert & Ross Fine Art
Jacksons' Auction Company
Wickliff & Associates Auctioneers, Inc.
Dan Ripley's Antique Helper Auctions

BIO:
Ruthven Holmes Byrum was born in Grand Junction, MI. He lived all of his life in Anderson, IN. He was an educator, painter, writer, lecturer.

Byrum studied at the Indiana University, and in Paris, at the Académie de la Grande Chaumière, Académie Julian, under Andre Lhote. and with Hans Hofmann, in Munich.

He painted landscapes and did some illustrative work. He exhibited at the Hoosier Salon, John Herron Art Institute, Art Institute of Chicago, and the Corcoran Gallery.

He taught at Anderson College, Indiana in the 1930s, and his work is in the collections of the Swope Museum, Richmond Art Association, and Indiana University.

Best of luck to you.  You deserve something for your saving act.

Stu

Stuart Cartwright