Fine Art/Edward Langley

Dear Mr. Laskowski,

For over 60 years my mother has been in possession of a painting by Edward Langley.  It's in the original frame (from L.A.) and is in excellent condition minus a good cleaning.  He etched "Mishongnovi Mesa Ariz" on the back of the frame.  I did some research on Mr. Langley, who was originally from England, moved to the U.S. where he helped develop the motion picture camera.  He was an early film producer (around 1917) before he became an art director on such films as The Three Musketeers.  Later he became very active in the L.A. art scene.  Can you give me an estimate on its worth, or how we go about getting an appraisal or sale?  We don't know a lot about art and don't want to be taken.  I live close to Las Vegas so I would possibly have access to art dealers.

Thank you for any help!!

Depending on size it would be anywhere from $400-$3,000.
Let me know the size and send me a picture.
Thanks, Joe.
Title:Oak trees in foothill landscape
24.50" x 30"
Created: 1931
See all lots for this auction
Signed Lower Right
Lot: 69
Auction House: John Moran Auctioneers
Low Est.:   $2,000   
High Est.:   $3,000   
Hammer Price:    -not sold-   

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University