Fine Art/Gaertner Watercolor

Hi, I purchased this watercolor privately 20+ years ago. Signed and dated Otto Gaertner 1903. Appears to be in it's original frame. Painting itself measures 9" x 13" (site area). I purchased the book written about him by his daughter Ethel Pyne and have researched him as much as I can. I would like to sell the painting. Any information as to value or who to contact would be appreciated, (I tried Garth's but got no reply). Thank you in advance. Best regards, Jim

Thank you for sharing this picture with me.  You are much more the expert on Otto Gaertner than I, and so I thank you for calling him to my attention. I have spent a productive 15 minutes finding out more about him.  

Does the Pyne book help you identify the scene?  I would guess this to be a view of the Hudson River, where he spent so much time in working on commissions for the lovely estates there such as Lyndhurst at Tarrytown.  

You might try contacting the Lyndhurst estate to see if they would entertain a direct purchase of what looks to be an artwork executed in the immediate environs.

Regarding auction houses, I'd suggest perhaps contacting a firm outside Ohio, such as Stair Galleries in Hudson, NY.

It seems you aleady know that a slightly larger work on paper, a genre scene of a Dayton farmhouse, hammered for $2,000 early last year at Garths.  Based on this alone, I would estimate your piece at $1,200-$1,500.  But to an enthusiast in Tarrytown, who knows?  Perhaps worth paying up!  

Feel free to contact me at if you continue to encounter difficulty in having firms return your inquiries.

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration