Fine Art/Identifying a painting

Question
Madonna and child
Madonna and child  
I have attached the following Madonna and Child painting. My parents
purchased it  in the late 1950s from Mgsr. Edward Hickey, a well know art
collector in the Detroit area.

We have no idea who the artist is ... if it is a copy. Also, possibly, there
"could" be another image underneath the current painting.

We would love to know anything about this painting. Thanks so much!

Answer
I get these questions from time to time, The same subject, but the owner does not know who the artist is. The reason for this is that the Madonna and Child has been the subject of paintings, drawings, sculpture etc. for so long now, and with replicas, posters on board etc., it's sometimes hard to find answers.  The last time I was able to help someone with this, we had to look through hundreds of photographs. I'll see what I can find.

Dan

Dan Twyman