Fine Art/John Haymson watercolor

Question
Nassau Hall watercolor
Nassau Hall watercolor  
Hello- I was wondering if you might know anything about this watercolor. It is John Haymson and is titled "Nassau Hall, Princeton U". It measures approx. 15 x 20. Any help as to value etc...would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

Scott

Answer
15" x 18"
Created: not given
See all lots for this auction
Watercolor/Paper
Unavailable
Lot: 2323
Auction House: DuMouchelles Auction House
Low Est.:   $125   
High Est.:   $250   
Hammer Price:    $80   
01/16/2009   

John Haymson was a commercial illustrator known for historical accuracy and was promoted in the United States by Aaron Ashley, Inc., a reproduction company in New York City.

He usually worked with watercolor and was known for architectural settings encircled by vignetted trees and for lively genre scenes, showing daily life such as a public fountain area in Taxco, Mexico.  Among his subjects are the Governor's Palace of Williamsburg, Virginia; scenes of Venice, Italy; buildings on Bourbon Street in New Orleans; and Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

He was born in Vienna, Austria in 1902, studying there at the Academy of Fine Art.

Haymson worked with etcher Luigi Kasimir.  He also studied stage and costume design with Max Reinhart in Salzburg, Austria.  Haymson lectured on art and aesthetics at museums and colleges.  He also led tours of art students to Mexico and Europe.

Haymson died in 1980.  

Joseph B. Laskowski