Fine Art/Paul J. Immel

I found a watercolor signed by Paul J. Immel in a thrift shop.  In the lower right hand corner it says No. 202 Cosmos.  It appears to be a watercolor on paper and has been matted.  On the back are the words "Copyright 1939 David Ashley, Inc. NYC.  Does this art work have any value? I live in the Seattle area.

Immediately troubling is the Copyright 1939 David Ashley, Inc. which indicates this is a possible lithograph or print.  But, I strongly recommend you seek guidance, and it is fortunate that you live near an auction house that has handled the public sale of three Immel watercolors in the last two years:

Pacific Galleries Fine Art Auctions
241 South Lander Street
Seattle, WA  98134
Phone: 206-441-9990

Sales at Pacific have fetched between $300-$550 for his watercolors on paper.

Additionally the following dealer might be of help to you:
J. Franklin Fine Art, Inc.
The Fairmont Olympic Hotel
411 University Street Suite 1200
Seattle, WA  98101
Phone: 206-300-0235
Fax: 206-467-0212

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration