Fine Art/Rico Tomaso

Question
Rico Tomaso
Rico Tomaso  
I have to paintings(oil)of Rico Tomaso.  1 is of a young lady with an old car leaning on a street sign that says 250 Michigan, New York that is signed in the bottom right corner(Rico Tomaso) and the 2nd one is a young lady dressed in a sailor outfit standing on a dock(no signature).  These are both on cardboard in plastic white frames in oil painting.  Can you tell me what they are called or where I can find information and also how much they might be worth?
Thanks for any help.

Answer
An illustrator, Rico Tomaso was known for his illustration of mystery novels and exotic adventure stories and also for his teaching abilities.  Many of his illustrations were for The Saturday Evening Post, including the Albert Richard Wetjen stories about the Mounted Police of South Australia.  Another client was the Granger Pipe Tobacco company, for whom he did full portrait illustrations.

As a young man, he played piano with a small dance orchestra, and future illustrator, Dean Cornwell, was the drummer.  It has been written that Tomaso's "work mostly resembled Cornwell's in concept and broad brush style." (253)

Tomaso's family friend, John T. McCutcheon, cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune, encouraged his talent.  He also studied at the Art Institute of Chicago with J. Wellington Reynolds and later at the Art Students League in New York with teachers including Cornwell, Robert Henri and Harvey Dunn.

Tomaso taught at the Grand Central Art School, taking the classes of Harvey Dunn when the School class was moved to Mamaroneck, New York.

Title:THE PLUCKIER SEX
36" x 30"
Created: not given
See all lots for this auction
Oil/Canvas
Signed Lower Right
Lot: 66333
Auction House: Heritage Auction Galleries
Low Est.:   $1,200   
High Est.:   $1,500   
Sales Price**:    $1,076   
06/05/2008  

Joseph B. Laskowski