Fine Art/Signaute

signature / date
signature / date  
I sent you a previous request with a photo of the painting in question, this request is regarding the same painting, but has a close up of the signature attached

I answered you previously before seeing this message.  That is a good picture of the signature, and I have been playing with it in photoshop a bit, to bring out the letters.  I have not discovered your artist, but I'll tell you what I think it details.

"JW Signa" or "JW Silna" or a close variant thereof.

"Feb 1881"  or "Sep 1881" below.   (more likely "Sep" given the greenery.)

A good look at this painting by a professional, perhap under U/V light may help bring out the lettering further.  

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration