Fine Art/louise huldah (cherry)

Question
my wife purchased a painting at an estate sale the seller said his mother before she died was friends with Louise huldah and she painted her this picture there is writing on the back that seems to say by huldah 1942. It is signed cherry on the bottom left if you are facing the painting. the gentleman also said at one point it hung in a new York gallery. It also has a tag from barzansky gallery 866 Madison ave new York. it is a picture of an attractive girl near a beach or lake front with a pink umbrella. can you tell me anything about this painting it is also 25x29 and nicely framed. thank you Charles fisher

Answer
Your artist is Huldah Cherry Jeffe(1901 - 2001).  Her complete biography follows.  Your painting is a very typical subject for her.   Public auction records indicate paintings such as yours have sold for between $400 and $2,260.  I would estimate your painting, if in good shape, no cracking, original canvas, no inpainting, etc., would hammer for $1,000 - $1,500 at auction.

A Dealer currently looking for Huldah paintings:
Gallery Moderne
7 Round House Road
Piermont, New York, 10968
845-359-4305
info@GalleryModerne.com
www.gallerymoderne.com

Good luck with your painting.  
Stu

----------------
Biography
----------------
An American fine artist born in Dallas, Texas, Huldah Cherry was an accomplished figure painter who studied at the Art Student's League and Grand Central School in New York City.  She also attended private classes taught by Robert Brackman.

Huldah began her career in the 1940s.  From 1934-1949 she was represented by the noted New York art dealer and collector, Howard Young.  In the 1950s, the Charles Lock Galleries of New York also exhibited her work.  In 1975 Wally Findlay Galleries in New York presented her first one-woman show. Four of her works were purchased by the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.  Her paintings have been reproduced by the New York Graphics Society since 1946 and by Hallmark cards since 1953.

Huldah has had her paintings selected for the Grand Salon of the Salon des Artistes Francais in Paris.  She won Honorable Mention awards on the Salons of 1948 and 1967.

For her subject matter, she focused on turn-of-the-century women and adolescent girls.  Her young ladies are costumed in the fashionable attire of the period, and her style hints of impressionism with a strong Renoir influence.  Inspired by a period known as La Belle Epoque, Huldah's designs were incorporated into thirty-one collectible porcelain works of art which were created between 1959 and 1968 and distributed into the 1980s.

Huldah retired in Palm Beach Florida, and is the wife of General J. E. Jeffe.

She is listed in Who's Who in American Art, Who's Who of American Women and the World Who's Who of Women.

In addition to museums, her paintings are in the collections of the Cornell Medical Center, and in the Los Angeles Athletic Club.  And in 1998 the national Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington DC recognized Huldah and has included her work on their permanent collection.

Stuart Cartwright