Fine Art/oil painting original paul w. whitener

grandfather mountain, blowing n.c.
grandfather mountain,  
i have an original painting Nov 1944 oil paining of blow mountains, north Carolina signed, and notes written by Paul whitener, i want to find out it's worth.  i can't find any photo's of his on display.  he was director/founder of hickory museum of art, north Carolina painting available upon request.

I found this for you:

We would be glad to look at a photo of portrait &
are searching for all of
Paul's works to catalog.
But Paul W. Whitener was
not a "Jr."Mail to:
Paul Whitener Foundation
PO Box 3102, Hickory,NC
28603 attn: Julie Cline,

Paul Whitener was born in 1911 in Lincoln County, North Carolina and died in 1959 in Hickory, North Carolina. He was educated in the Public Schools of Hickory and attended Duke University on a Football Scholarship as a Journalism Major.

After leaving Duke, he worked for the State of North Carolina in Little Switzerland, and met his future wife, Mildred, who introduced him to Frank Herring, an instructor of art at the Grand Central Art School in New York City who happened to spend summers in the mountains of North Carolina. Whitener became a student of Herring and attended the Ringling Summer School of Art in Little Switzerland. He became the only student of the renowned portraitist, Wilford Conrow who worked with Whitener from 1940-54.

Whitener gained a reputation as a great portraitist but loved painting the mountain landscapes of North Carolina. Apparently Whitener was a man of vision in that he was the moving force behind the establishment of the Hickory Arts Association, which was to evolve into the Hickory Museum of Art, the goal being the highlighting of American artist's works.

He became the first Director and served until his death in 1959, when his widow assumed the position until 1966. Because of his reputation and friendship with other artists and prominent people, he was able to secure donated works from the collections of Horbart Nichols and other members of the National Academy of Design including paintings by Asher Durand,John Kensett, Thomas Cole, and others.

A show of Whitener's works was held at the Hickory Art Museum in 1998. Whitener's works like those of many regional artist, especially in the South, have not received the national acclaim they so richly deserve. The people of North Carolina owe a debt of gratitude to the long range vision of Paul Whitener for his promotion and establishment of a museum that today houses over 1700 significant works of American art.

The Hickory Art Museum is located at 243 Third Ave NE, Hickory,NC and is well worth a visit for art lovers.  

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University