Fine Art/watercolor by Renauld

I have two watercolors of Chicago skyline painted by Renauld. These paintings were purchased in the late 50's early 60's from the Eastern Art Products in Chicago. I would like to know the approximate value of these paintings. Thank you very much. The title is Gotham Green. They are 10" x 40" listed as #8314-5.  On the back it says genuine hand painted design and color.  It is signed.

You have a pair of watercolors or prints that were likely manufactured wholesale and retailed through Eastern Art Products.  In the post WWII boom, many such vendors popped up to promote what has been described as an emerging "middlebrow" culture.  Artworks were manufactured in large lots to keep costs low.  Many works were produced to accessorize furniture or home decor.

The give-away is the single name signature.  Unlike popular musicians of today (think: Prince) the painting world does not prize painters with single names, in fact just the opposite.  Painters take pride in using first and middle names to distinguish themselves.  The other clue is the labeled number.  Large catalogues and inventories of these artworks were kept.  Finally, that an artwork needs to say "genuine hand painted design and color" tells us your watercolor was not produced by a fine art practitioner. It may be hand-painted, technically, but not by a practicing artist. The signature "Renauld" is meaningless.  I assure you there is no listed artist by this name.

It is not to say they are worthless, they might certainly be enjoyed and be an attractive addition to a room, but rather to say they would not be considered "fine art".  

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration