Fine Art/2 Dali's

Question
Virgil\'s Reproaches and La Danse
Virgil's Reproaches an  
I just received 2 Dali's. The first I have been told is a woodcut and is pencil signed. The second is a color lithograph and is also pencil signed. I have certificates of appraisals but I know they are wrong because they have the wrong title on them Can you give me any information?

Answer
Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you for your question.  The image you sent me is a woodblock print from Dali's Divine Comedy suite.  It is usually known as Purgatory 5; I say 'usually' because a German scholar, Wolfgang Everling, has argued that the order of the prints was compromised and that the numbering one generally uses is not accurate.  Everling identifies it as Purgatory 6, with the title 'Vergil embracing Sordello'.

Dali was commissioned to design these watercolors (later made into woodblock prints) by the Italian government to celebrate the 700th anniversary of Dante's birth.  Dali created 101 Divine Comedy watercolors between 1951 and 1960, then the finished suite was published in Paris by Joseph Foret in a special edition.  A larger edition was then published by Jean Estrade at Les Heures Claires.

If you were buying, I would strongly advise asking that the works be authenticated; as you are already the owner, that step is up to you.  I say this because there is a tremendous proliferation of fake Dali graphics on the market.  The Divine Comedy prints are especially sticky because about 8534 editions were published between French, German, and Italian editions, and most have been taken apart so the images can be sold separately.  Very few have signatures, so the fact that yours has a signature suggests that it is quite rare or the signature may be forged.  There is some information published online here: http://www.divinecomedy.biz/authenticity.html

I recommend contacting the Salvador Dali Archives in New York for more information about the authenticity of your prints.  The Archives are run by Frank Hunter, who used to work with graphics expert Albert Field.  http://daliarchives.com/  
Another great resource is Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM: http://www.bernardewell.com/

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have further questions.  Note that I have not commented on your other lithograph as I did not receive an image.  If you would like to send an image, I could try to give you some information on it as well.

Kind regards,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King