Fine Art/Artist's signature?

Question
Park Bridge painting
Park Bridge painting  
Hello,
I have submitted a question to Dan and he has asked that submit  to you as well:
I have tried and tried to decipher this artist's name and cannot. It is an oil on canvas of a bridge in a park in New York, I believe. The previous owner said it had been in her family since the 1960's. I have attached an image of the signature. I can send a pic of the entire painting if you like
Thank you so much for any help in advance!!
Jann

Answer
Jann,
Try as we might, the AllExperts volunteers cannot possibly hope to identify everything that ends up in a frame or on a wall.   You would be surprised if I told you what a large majority of the submitted pictures and signatures are unknown.  Whenever I see a one-name signature, it is an immediate red flag...artists typically will use full names including middle names or initials.  Some creatively construct fancy monograms.  Unlike the pop music universe (Sting, Prince, Madonna), single names are not prized on fine art canvasses.  In fact, many manufacturers who crank out what I'd politely term "decorative art", often in overseas businesses, will have these fictitious single names applied.  

The fifties and sixties, a period of explosive post-war consumerism, featured many such efforts to meet burgeoning demand for what some have called "middlebrow culture". Even Sears Roebuck was in the business (partnered with Vincent Price!) of selling affordable paintings through its famous catalogue.

In short, I do not recognize this signature.  Doesn't mean you cannot continue to enjoy your artwork, or even sell your bridge to someone who might enjoy it equally!  If you like it, hang it.

Stu

JANN - YES.  ACTUAL OIL ON CANVAS.  PLENTY OF WORKERS, SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD AT THIS VERY MOMENT...PAID BY THE HOUR...NOT MUCH PROBABLY...PUTTING OIL ON CANVAS. OR PERHAPS SIDEWALK PAINTERS WHO ARE CRANKING THEM OUT EVERYDAY. FOR INSTANCE, CHECK OUT THE SIDEWALK VENDORS DOWN ALONG CENTRAL PARK. SEE IF YOU CAN FIND SIMILAR WORK.  

THIS IS NOT TO SAY YOU DON'T HAVE A PAINTING BY A WELL-KNOWN ARTIST. JUST THAT I DON'T KNOW THE SIGNATURE.

THANK YOU FOR THE KIND FEEDBACK/COMMENTS.  CENTRAL PARK IS A BEAUTIFUL SPOT...ENJOY THE PAINTING!

STU  

Stuart Cartwright