Fine Art/Dali

Question
dali
dali  
Dear Mr.King, i have 2 lithography hand signed by Salvador Dali.The first one is "Babaouo", 312, very rare, the second is handsigned and 34/150.
I would like your opinion and also if you can help me find out the value.Thank you very much, i appreciate your expertise.Kind regards, Edith

Answer
Dear Edith,

Thank you for your question.  The first lithograph is from Dali's Divine Comedy suite.  It is usually known as Purgatory 16; I say 'usually' because a German scholar, Wolfgang Everling, has argued that the order of the prints was compromised and that the numbering one generally uses is not accurate.  Dali was commissioned to design these watercolors (later made into woodblock prints) by the Italian government to celebrate the 700th anniversary of Dante's birth.  Dali created 101 Divine Comedy watercolors between 1951 and 1960, then the finished suite was published in Paris by Joseph Foret in a special edition.  A larger edition was then published by Jean Estrade at Les Heures Claires.

The second lithograph is from the Babaouo suite.  Dali wrote a film script titled Babaouo in 1932, though these images date from 1978; there are 9 in the suite.

Again, I am not an appraiser or authenticator, so I am depending wholly on others' opinions to counsel you on value. In this case, I have consulted two books for you: Albert Field's 'The Complete Graphic Works of Salvador Dali', and Bruce Hochman's 2007 'Annual Print Price Guide to the Graphic Works of Salvador Dali'.  According to Hochman, Divine Comedy prints are valued at $4,800 each.  Babaouo prints are $10,500 for the set of 9, so about $1,200 each.  Again, this is a value determined solely from Hochman's annual price guide; the amount will likely vary depending on your source.

If you were buying, I would strongly advise asking that the works be authenticated; as you are already the owner, that step is up to you.  I say this because there is a tremendous proliferation of fake Dali lithographs on the market.  The Divine Comedy prints are especially sticky because about 8534 editions were published between French, German, and Italian editions, and most have been taken apart so the images can be sold separately.  Very few have signatures, so the fact that yours has a signature suggests that it is quite rare or the signature may be forged.  There is some information published online here: http://www.divinecomedy.biz/authenticity.html

I recommend contacting the Salvador Dali Archives in New York for more information about the authenticity of your prints.  The Archives are run by Frank Hunter, who used to work with graphics expert Albert Field.  http://daliarchives.com/
They will also be able to tell you more about your Babaouo print.  Another great resource is Bernard Ewell in Santa Fe, NM: http://www.bernardewell.com/

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King