Fine Art/Dali and Picasso Lithos

Question
Hello, I am on holiday in Paris and I noticed a few antique shops along the Seine selling original Picasso and Dali lithographs for anywhere from 100 to 300 euros.

I guess I've always associated these artists with priceless works of art. Is it plausible to get a Picasso or Dali litho for this price? Are they real? Are they valuable?

I realize I am not giving specific titles or images so it may make it hard to answer. Thanks!

Answer
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your question.  I don't tend to price lithos, but I'll give it a shot:
The price range for Dali lithographs varies widely, but 100-300 Euros would be quite low for most signed and numbered Dali lithographs, which often run in the thousands of dollars depending on the size of the edition, signature, etc.  I can't say anything about Picasso lithos, but they may be the same.  The images you're seeing may be contemporary prints that have been mass produced and are therefore considerably less valuable than limited editions.  In this case, 100 Euros may not be a bad price, but it's not a steal on an important work of art. As you said, it's difficult to know for sure -- you *might* come across a huge bargain at a Paris antique shop, but since you said you saw 'a few antique shops' selling these prints, I suspect it's something readily available.  If you like the image, you may want to pay the 100-300 Euros, but that's your call, obviously; it may be great to have on your wall as a reminder of Paris, but it's not likely to be an investment, as it were.
All this said, it is within many people's means to buy a signed Dali lithograph.  One associates Dali, Picasso, and other great artists with priceless works of art, as you said, but many artists also did print suites, and images from those suites are considerably more affordable.  You might pick up a very nice signed Dali litho for $2,000 or so.  
If you are interested in Dali and are still in Paris, you may want to check out the Espace Dali in Montmartre, which is a nice museum of prints and sculptures.  You may also be interested in walking by 88 rue de l'universite, which is near Saint-Germain and is where Dali lived for a few years. Finally, you ought to check out the Hotel Meurice, where Dali lived 1/3 of the year from the 1950s-70s.  It's a beautiful hotel near the Louvre, and Angelina's tea house down the street makes an amazing Mont Blanc dessert!

I hope this helps.  Enjoy your trip!

Kind regards,
Elliott

Elliott H. King