Fine Art/Degas Art Work

Degas Art work
Degas Art work  

I recently purcased a piecs of Art from an estate sell. I noticed the style of art to be that of Degas. At first I didnt found no signature, still admiring the art work I bought it anyways. When arrived home I cleaned the window as it was covered in heavy dust and dirt, it is when I noticed to markings, one on the left side and one on the right side.

I dont know if it is a monotype, litho, print, pastel, or chalk. What I did know is that it was very inexpensive and I thought it would look nice in my office.

I am very interested in finding out who the portait is of.

Please take a look at the photo and email me at your most oppurtune time. Thanks.

Dear Gary,

The image in your Degas is Diego Martelli; a journalist and good friend of Degas. I recognized the image, but I have never seen one of these as a print. The artist painted two separate portraits of Martelli, circa 1879, and there are seven preliminary studies that were done in pencil for the paintings. I have a link below to the painting that relates to your drawing as well as a link to the National Galleries of Scotland where they have the first drawing of the painting your drawing is based on. I cannot locate a reference on any prints that were made after these drawings. Have you had the print looked at to determine the medium? I cannot tell from photographs so you may want to take it to a local museum or art expert for review.

I canít give you a value at this time, but I will continue to look for another example of your print. It has not been listed at a major auction that I can find.

It is a very nice piece and I am certain worth much more than you paid for it.

Best regards,

National Galleries:

Martelli painting image:

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.