Fine Art/Framed picture

Framed mystery picture of castle
Framed mystery picture  
Hi Mr Laskowski, First time user of your site and am thrilled that I have it. I have a framed picture that appears very old. It is either ink, pencil, charcoal of a castle. I have no idea who the artist is. It is signed by the artist and probably the name of the castle or town I'm not sure and of course signed in old world letters and the artist appears to be from another country. Maybe Germany Dutch. I relly don't know. Perhaps you can help me with it. Approximate age and who the artist is and the Castle. I've had it for a very long time and now my couriousity got the best of me and when I found your site I was absolutely thrilled. Once again thank you.

Kari, this looks to be Austrian and done by an artist with the name M. Benz. I have looked for this artist but cannot find someone with that name on my database who did etchings. It appears to be from the 1920's. Sometimes these were done for the tourists by local artists to take home with them from a tour of the country.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University