Fine Art/Giorgio Vasari

Question
I am reading a book on Raphael and it refers to Vasari on some occasions.
Who was Vasari and why is his opinion valued?

Answer
Dear Vivian,

Thank you for your question.  Giorgio Vasari's opinion is valued because he was the first art historian of the Italian Renaissance and was writing and publishing contemporaneously with the great painters from that period.  He is best known for his book 'The Lives of the Most Eminent Italian Painters, Sculptors, & Architects' (published 1550), which was the first encyclopedia of artists' biographies (it contained over 200 artists' biographies). 'The Lives' continues to be an extremely important art historical reference because it was the first account of Italian Renaissance art history (Vasari was even the first author to publish the term 'Renaissance'!).  
Raphael died in 1520, and much of what one knows about his biography is courtesy of Vasari, who published his account only thirty years later.  So you see, Vasari had quite a privileged position for writing about the artists we now consider Old Masters.
There is a wealth of material online about both Raphael and Vasari, of which I have only scratched the surface, though I do hope it answers your question.

Kind regards,
Elliott  

Elliott H. King