Fine Art/Rico Tomaso

I too am researching the artist Rico Tomaso. I have an oil painting of his depicting Wild Horses running what looks to be out west somewhere. Would you by chance be able to offer any information on this? Thank you for your time and assistance.  

An illustrator, Rico Tomaso was known for his illustration of mystery novels and exotic adventure stories and also for his teaching abilities.  Many of his illustrations were for The Saturday Evening Post, including the Albert Richard Wetjen stories about the Mounted Police of South Australia.  Another client was the Granger Pipe Tobacco company, for whom he did full portrait illustrations.

As a young man, he played piano with a small dance orchestra, and future illustrator, Dean Cornwell, was the drummer.  It has been written that Tomaso's "work mostly resembled Cornwell's in concept and broad brush style." (253)

Tomaso's family friend, John T. McCutcheon, cartoonist for the Chicago Tribune, encouraged his talent.  He also studied at the Art Institute of Chicago with J. Wellington Reynolds and later at the Art Students League in New York with teachers including Cornwell, Robert Henri and Harvey Dunn.

Tomaso taught at the Grand Central Art School, taking the classes of Harvey Dunn when the School class was moved to Mamaroneck, New York.

Walt Reed, "Rico Tomaso", The Illustrator in America, 1860-2000, p. 253

Depending on size, it is probably a $1,500-$2,500 painting.

Joseph B. Laskowski

I have been researching,buying, collecting, dealing, and appraising 19th and 20th Century American Art (1850-1950) for the past 15 years. Ask me anything about this topic. I am a member of the Pennsylvania Antiques Appraisers Association.

Experienced in American Art from the period 1850-1950. This Includes Impressionism, Regionalism, Early American Modernism, Hudson River School, WPA. I have 15 years researching, collecting, dealing, and appraising in this field. Ran a Fine Art gallery for 3 years in Phoenixville, Pa. that focused on American and European art from the 1800's to contemporary works. Rare books focused on fine art monographs and catalogue raisonne.

Pennsylvania Antique Appraisers Association
American Society of Appraisers (Candidate)

Brimfield Rush, a book written by Bob Wyss of the University of Connecticut. It details the escapades, trials and travails of myself, my ex, and other individuals who have been to Brimfield , Mass. to tame the largest flea market in North America. Maybe even the world.

American Society of Appraisers
BA from Lenoir-Rhyne University in North Carolina
Appraisal Studies at George Washington University