Fine Art/Signed Herring oil on panel board

Herring Picture
Herring Picture  
Hi I have included pictures of an oil panting on some kind of a board.  It is signed herring on the bottom right. On the  back of the painting is a sticker that says Biggs&Sons London some kind of picture restorers. .Can you please tell me about this oil painting. If you cannot please advise on who can.. Thanks Carol

You may have a painting by either John Frederick Herring, Sr. (1795-1865) or by John Frederick Herring, Jr. (1815-1907).  

I am not expert in their works, but I would advise you seek an expert, because the Herring's barnyard paintings can bring considerable money, so one suspects this might be a market ripe for forgeries.   I recommend you contact Sothebys in New York City which has handled many auctions of Herring works.  

Sothebys New York
1334 York Avenue at 72nd Street
New York, NY  10021
Phone: 888-752-0002

Best of luck,

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration