Fine Art/Watercolor painting

Do you know anything about this picture.  All i know is that it is signed at bottom I think Lockhardt. Not sure if a first name is on it, dont want to try to take it out. Im

I cannot say definitively who your artist is, but one very good bet may be James Leland Lockhart(born 1912.)  He is not widely known, nor have I seen any of his works go through public auction.  Nonetheless, here is his biography, so that may get you started.  

I wish the best of luck in your continuing research.  Often a local art auction house or fine arts dealer can be of great assistance in offering opinions and ideas.

James Leland Lockhart was born in Arkansas in 1912.  He was a successful commercial illustration artist for many companies.  He did illustration advertisements that appeared in several magazines including illustrations for Maxwell House Coffee, Standard Oil Company and Wrigley Chewing gum advertisements.  He won the famed Artist's Guild Award for best painting in 1950.  One of his baseball pictures hangs in Baseball's Hall of Frame in Cooperstown, New York.  He painted calendar illustrations for the Gerlach Barklow calendar company including their highly successful Bluebird series.

Stuart Cartwright

American Fine Art Paintings.
Oils, Watercolors, Sketches. Nineteenth and early Twentieth Century. Hudson River School, Pennsylvania Academy, Cape Ann artists, Ash Can, Woodstock, Florida Indian River, American Impressionists, etc. I can provide some background about artists and perhaps a rough appraisal or guidance towards obtaining a value. I am acquainted with many of the best American art dealers and auction houses. Original works only, I do not follow the print market. I do NOT field questions about prints.

Important to know
I am not expert in European art. I encourage you to send questions on European artists to other experts on this service. NO PRINTS:I encourage you to seek help on prints elsewhere. Two sites come to mind: and

I have been collecting original American Fine Art for over 20 years. I have curated art shows, and I have served as a dealer, providing appraisals and guidance for the last 8 years.

Bachelor of Arts Master of Business Administration