Fine Art/antoine blanchard jr.

Question
I came across an untitled painting signed Antoine Blanchard.  The signature, style, subject, and medium are all consistent with other Blanchard works but this of does not always mean it is an original.  One thing I did notice was on the canvas where it was stapled to the frame was the name "Antoine Blanchard jr" in black marker. There was something else in black marker next to the name too which i could not make out.  My question is who is Blanchard jr and why is his signature, style, and subject the same as Blanchard.  I am no expert on authenticating paintings but i did notice, having older paintings myself, that the canvas was not that old.  I have an oppourtunity to buy this painting but will lay off if it sounds like a reproduction or something to that effect.  Thank you.

Answer
Hello, first off I would need to see a picture to definitely tell you that this picture is a fake. The black magic marker is probably a giveaway that the piece may be a fake. Stapling was used in canvases attached to stretchers in 1955. So that is OK. Antoine Blanchard, Jr was born in 1930 and is not the more famous of the Blanchards. You are looking for Antoine Blanchard who was born in 1910 and died in 1988 and signed his works Antoine Blanchard.

Joseph B. Laskowski