Fine Art/art treasures of america...india proofs

Question
mrs. siddons
mrs. siddons  
Hello,

I hope you are well. I have just been given several pages from The art Treasures of America...I think...the pages are all loose but they are in the cover of this titled book. Can you tell me anything about the art...there are copies of art work by such artist as Rosa Bonheur, Thomas Carlyle and more. Some of the art work has a cover sheet telling about the artist and the work or telling who's collection the original was used to make the reproduction. Can you tell me if they are reproductions, plates or lithographs and about what price range they should be. Also, one of the pictures...The horse fair...is said to be a Currier and Ives print...how is that so when it was painted by Rosa Bonheur? I hope you can help. Thank You

lisa

Answer
These are photogravures which are photographs of the original pieces of art. Photogravure is an intaglio printmaking process in which photographic images are printed using forms of mechanised etching of plates.

AS individual pieces of art they are worth $50 a piece if matted.
As investments, these are probably not the items you want.
As decorative items that you can hang and admire they are fantastic.

Joseph B. Laskowski